Friday 18 May 2018

Winter Art


                                   
The Winter panel for the beehive is finished, I painted Dudley's Cottage, a cottage build in 1880, the oldest cottage in Arrowtown.
I changed a few aspects, because I had to use winter and summer photographs of the cottage, but that is the artist interpretation.
By using cool colours of purple and blue as the base I created a cold winter feel of a snowy day.
I used warm darker colours behind the trees and brought those back in the tyre marks on the road and  the dried winter grasses in the foreground.
I know I shouldn't use warm colours in the distance, but sorry I broke the rules, because I think it works for this painting.
Dudley's Cottage is now a cafe and gift shop and will be next to Paul and Emma new business' Honey and Cacoa.'
The painted beehive will sit outside the shop and hopefully will be a nice talking point.
                                             

On Wednesday at the elderly activity morning we started to paint terracotta pots for Springtime to plant with Tulip and Daffodil bulbs.
The pots need to dry and next time I will bring stencils to decorate the pots and then we will plant the bulbs.
It was a rainy day so a nice way to spend the morning.

7 comments:

  1. Happy PPF Marijke, I really love your winter scene and, yes, the colours you've chosen do give it a real feel for that season, I must remember that.
    I also love the painted terracotta pots - they look really engaged in their delightful activity :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marijke, the winter cottage is beautiful! The use of two seasons of photos as a reference worked beautifully!
    Painting terracotta pots...what a delightful thing to do!!!

    Happy PPF 🎨
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely winter piece! I would love to be painting pots like that when I am elderly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painted panel of the cottage is wonderful, it really looks cold and wintry. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely winter scene for the Beehive! I've added honeycomb to my Apothecary painting, sweetness abounds!
    I painted the rim of an oval terracotta pot red, and planted a couple of plants with red flowers for my daughter for Mothers Day!
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely painting and hey, break all the rules you want! Looking forward to seeing pictures of the painted pots too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous painting of a winter cottage.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment